Friday, June 9, 2017

tinnitus



https://www.telegraphindia.com/1170605/jsp/knowhow/story_155102.jsp

Phantom noise 


Dr. Gita MathaiYour Health - Dr. Gita Mathai

Noise can be loud and irritating. The good thing about external noise is that it can be shut out. Phantom noises — ringing, buzzing, roaring or hissing — varying in intensity and pitch continuous or intermittent, in one or both ears can only be heard by the affected person. They are called tinnitus and cannot be shut out. Sometimes it feels like an insect is trapped in the ear. The sound is disconcerting, and distracting. It is a common problem. The risk of developing tinnitus is higher in men and in smokers. About 25 per cent people experience it by the age of 70.
Tinnitus may be caused by a variety of reasons. It may be due to age. A type of hearing loss called presbycusis often accompanies it. This may be because the fine hair (cilia) in the inner ear die or are damaged. The bones of the inner ear may be damaged. This is called otosclerosis and may run in families. The nerves may not conduct sounds as efficiently. Atherosclerosis and high blood pressure may also cause tinnitus. It may be something as simple as the ear being blocked by wax.
Temporary tinnitus can occur with sudden exposure to a blast of loud noise. This may be accompanied by pain in the ear. Continuous long-term exposure can make the damage permanent. This occurs in younger people who continuously blast music from electronic devices.
Changes in the fluid pressure in the inner ear can occur on one side. It can cause a feeling of vertigo and tinnitus. It is episodic and can be accompanied by hearing loss. It usually goes away on its own in a year or two.
The temporomandibular joint is situated at the angle of the jaw next to the ear. Muscles used in chewing, the ligaments of the jaw and nerves transmitting sounds share some common entities with this joint. Pain, swelling, arthritis or dislocations of this joint or an accident, especially if there has been injury to the head as well, can aggravate tinnitus. 
Tumours in the head and neck or the eighth cranial nerve that transmits hearing can cause tinnitus. This can be picked up with CT scans or MRI.
We live in an era where antibiotics are prescribed for the mildest infections. Some of the commonly used antibiotics like erythromycin and gentamicin, and some of the higher ones like vancomycin, polymyxcin and neomycin can affect hearing and cause tinnitus. Diuretics like furosemide (Lasix) and quinine used for malaria can cause similar effects. Aspirin is one of the oldest medications prescribed for pain. In high doses (twelve 300 mg tablets or more) it can cause tinnitus.
Tinnitus is investigated with a hearing tests, CT scans and MRIs. No real cause is usually found. This is depressing for the patient as the continuous sound interferes with sleep and concentration.
Medication does not work well for tinnitus. The irritating sound can be masked with white noise (sounds of waves or rainfall) playing continuously. Hearing aids will help if there is deafness as well.
Some yoga exercises like the triangle pose, camel pose and downward facing dog are found to be beneficial. You can also stimulate the eight nerve by blocking the ears with the forefingers and making an “ooh” sound. Couple this with walking or jogging for 40 minutes a day, light weights and exercises to strengthen the head and neck.

Dr Mathai is a paediatrician and author of 
Staying Healthy in Modern India. Mail your
questions to yourhealthgm@yahoo.co.in

7 comments:

  1. NATURAL CURE TO TINNITUS: I have read this site thoroughly with comments, I’m so appreciative for this type of platform. I feel this will be very important information for all Tinnitus patients, because the most violent element in society today is ignorance. Be it any condition, a healthy diet and natural medicine is a road to fast recovery. I had suffered Tinnitus for many years,I fought for proper medical care and all form of humane treatment with little improvement I went through many sleepless nights and periods of intense grief, as do most families. I was recommended by a friend to use JODANE herbs for my Tinnitus with high hope and assurance. I finally feels my illness is gone with no more symptoms. What makes night within us may leave stars. You can check the blog: permanentcuretotinnitus.blogspot.com, for more details

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from tinnitus, I have suffered from ringing ears since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the buzzing sound in my right ears, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including tinnitus, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from tinnitus just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from tinnitus you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COMPLETE CURE TO TINNITUS: I had tinnitus in both ears for fifteen years with a high pitched two tone sound, the noises are constant and have learned to ignore the ringing. Later, another sound was added, a deep tone that has a sporadic rhythm, that mimics human speech. It varies from soft and muted, to painfully clear, and loud. Have try sound machines, ear plugs, my hearing aid, and medication all to no avail rather I have a difficult time sleeping. Lately I was directed to a Doctor called William on internet who provided solution to the problem. Do not be discourage, dr williams product is a permanent cure to Tinnitus. Contact him with this email (drwilliams098675@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

  4. I was searching for loan to sort out my bills& debts, then i saw comments about Blank ATM Credit Card that can be hacked to withdraw money from any ATM machines around you . I doubted thus but decided to give it a try by contacting {blankatm156@gmail.com} they responded with their guidelines on how the card works. I was assured that the card can withdraw $5,000 instant per day & was credited with $50,000 so i requested for one & paid the delivery fee to obtain the card, after 24 hours later, i was shock to see the UPS agent in my resident with a parcel{card} i signed and went back inside and confirmed the card work's after the agent left. This is no doubts because i have the card & has made used of the card. This hackers are USA based hackers set out to help people with financial freedom!! Contact these email if you wants to get rich with this Via: blankatm156@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Dr Williams I am so happy today, I have been suffering from tinnitus for the past 2 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to become tinnitus free , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after I took his medication as instructed, i am now tinnitus free within those week of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my life back again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have tinnitus you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for more information .

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those people whose relative are suffering from Tinnitus and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Tinnitus Disease. I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my (audiological) exam/diagnosis, my tinnitus once buried me in a negative place where many of you are now - or have been. Believe me when I say, “I’ve been there.” I had sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSHL), losing 70 percent of my hearing up to 4,000 kHz. I began noticing a low level of tinnitus around 51 years old and the diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. The level spiked dramatically, spiraling me down into a pit of depression. I could not sleep or eat; I stayed in bed with sweats and shaking spells; I lost strength and considerable weight. My wife held me in her arms, trying to comfort me, and still I thought I was going to die. Though sharing his story is very difficult. I was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything I set my mind on doing. Tinnitus is a bitch. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected my day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across aparajita tan herbal medicine which is able to control Tinnitus without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that I am free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for me to feel better. I’m proud to say am Tinnitus free. You can also contact him for advice and more info. aparajitatan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from tinnitus, I have suffered from ringing ears since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the buzzing sound in my right ears, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams  who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including tinnitus, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor  via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from tinnitus just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from tinnitus you can contact him through his  email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete