Sunday, October 1, 2017

diabetic control

Diabetic control
The patient’s blood sugar refused to go below 400 no matter what I tried.
“I think I might have to start you on insulin.”
“Aren’t those injections,” she said ,”and I have to poke myself around my stomach?”
“Well---” I said. 
Before I could finish she said accusingly, “It is all because of your diet.”
“My diet?” I asked bewildered. I had calculated a nice 1500 calorie diet for her based on the family’s normal food intake.
“You told me to eat two iddlies in the morning, , one cup of rice in the afternoon and 2 chappatis for dinner. In the morning, after my pongal and vadai I find it difficult to eat two more iddlies. At lunch time, I have variety rice. Then I swallow your one cup of plain rice with sambhar. “
She must have been eating at least 5000 calories a day!
“What about the morning walk?” I asked.
“How can I walk? Where is the time? I have to cook the families’ food and then the extra diet you have prescribed for me!”
I was bereft of speech.
Another woman with persistent blood sugar level of 375 told me “I eat two iddlies for breakfast lunch and dinner. I love iddlies.”
I was puzzled. Then her daughter-in- law came with her .
“My mother-in-law makes delicious iddlies, “ she said slyly, “I brought two for you.”
I simpered and said, “Oh, you needn’t have.”
Then I saw the iddlies. They had been steamed in a large aluminum strainer similar I usually use to wash vegetables and fruits. They were 9 inches across and two inches thick.
As I started screeching at the patient, the daughter-in-law smirked in the background, preening herself.
Now I have started saying,
“House work is not exercise. You have to walk for 40 minutes on an empty stomach. You cannot eat anything I have not written in the diet sheet. You can eat only ‘cooker iddlies.’
Hope that works!

No comments:

Post a Comment